The annual CAG Research Topics in GI Disease meeting, held in advance of CDDW™, provides a unique educational opportunity for graduate students, medical students, and PhD/MD postdoctoral trainees (including adult or pediatric trainees beyond their core training i.e. “PGY5”) who are engaged in gastrointestinal research. This small group meeting provides an intimate setting for participants to present their research findings, engage in career development workshops and skill building exercises among enthusiastic expert faculty in the field. Participants are required to register to attend CDDW™, and can take advantage of the incredible selection of topics and sessions in addition to a Trainee Mixer one evening.
Successful candidates will:
- be a CAG Trainee Member at the time of abstract submission or will have applied to become one by October 20, 2018 (no cost)
- have a supervisor who is also a CAG member or will have applied to become one by October 20, 2018
- be graduate students, medical students, PhD and MD postdoctoral trainees including adult or pediatric trainees [beyond their core training i.e. “PGY5”] engaged in gastrointestinal research
- not have attended a Research Topics in GI Disease meeting before
- As noted above, both you and your supervisor must be (or have applied to be by October 20, 2018) a CAG Member to submit an abstract and have it considered.
- All applicants must identify themselves as the abstract’s presenting author in order to be considered for this meeting
- DEADLINE: The deadline for electronic abstract submission is October 15 11:59 PM ET. Please note that if you begin your abstract submission on October 15th and run into any technical difficulties, you may not be able to access technical support. It is advisable to start the submission process well in advance of October 15th. The site will close at exactly 11:59 PM ET on October 15th – if you are in the system at that time and have not completed your submission you will be frozen out and your submission will not be completed or accepted.
- Abstracts must contain original research with results reviewers can evaluate (‘results to follow/to be presented’ is not acceptable)
- Only new data that has NOT been previously published or presented at another meeting may be submitted. If you add new data/findings to your previously published/presented abstract then it is eligible for submission to both Research Topics and CDDW™.
- Registration to attend CDDW™ is required and is a separate process from submitting an abstract. You do not need to register for CDDW™ prior to submitting your abstract, however if you are the presenting author, and your abstract is accepted to the meeting you must register for CDDW™ prior to January 4, 2019 (conference registration fee is $75 plus applicable taxes for CAG Trainee members).
- If your abstract is selected for the Research Topics program (and you in turn accept the invitation to attend) your supervisor will be notified of any absence you have from the RT program and they will in turn be invoiced $500 per day (or any portion thereof) that you miss. Space is limited and the organizers wish to ensure that only those committed to attending the program in its entirety submit an abstract/accept the invitation to participate in the RT Program (the approximate cost for CAG for each participant is $2000).
- A $40.00 (US dollars, tax included) submission fee must be paid for the abstract to be considered. You will be prompted in Step 6 of the submission process to pay online (Visa, MasterCard). Please read the 'no refunds' policy prior to submitting your payment.
- You MUST include a letter from your Supervisor which outlines your current position and confirms that he/she has reviewed, and approved, your abstract submission and acknowledges that you have done the majority of the work. If you are a clinical trainee, the letter must include 1) the program you are registered in and your year of training, eg. PGY level, and 2) confirms that your supervisor/training program director has reviewed, and approved of your abstract submission and acknowledges you have done the majority of the work.
- Only one (1) Research Topics abstract submission per applicant.
- Your Research Topics abstract will automatically be submitted to the CORE CDDW™ program. DO NOT submit the abstract to the CORE program as well.
- In submitting your Research Topics abstract you are agreeing (if accepted) to attend and present your abstract at the CORE CDDW™ Meeting as well.
Abstract Submission Process
Step One: Abstract Submission - Deadline is October 15 11:59 PM ET
Candidates are required to submit an abstract using the CDDW™ online abstract system. All policies and procedures for submitting abstracts are outlined on the online abstract system.
- If you are logging-in (see link below) for the first time to submit an abstract, once in the site, choose "Create an Account" from the left-hand menu bar and create a User ID and Password for direct log in on future visits to the site. If you have previously been in the system related to an abstract submission please use your existing User ID and Password.
- To submit to the Research Topics in GI Disease Meeting, enter the site through the link below (then enter your User ID and Password).
- Once in the CORE abstract system, review the “Abstract Submission, Instructions for Authors” information carefully before preparing and submitting your abstract.
- Click on the "Submission" tab from the menu.
- Click on "Create New Submission" link on the left hand side.
- Click on "Abstract Submission for Research Topics in GI Disease" radio button.
- Once in the Research Topics abstract system, please review the Research Topics Abstract Submission Instructions carefully before preparing and submitting your abstract.
- Please ensure that all required fields are completed and that the information you provide is correct.
- Verify that the email that you enter for the presenting author is correct, as this will be used for all future correspondence regarding your submission. PLEASE DO NOT use a 'hotmail' address, as it is unlikely that subsequent email correspondence from the CAG regarding your submission will reach you.
Step Two: Review
Abstracts will be reviewed by the CAG Research Topics Committee.
Step Three: Approval
The CAG will contact all candidates to advise if successful or not. The abstracts that are accepted to the Research Topics in GI Disease Meeting are also considered for presentation at CDDW™.
The lowest cost economy-class flight fare will be booked through the CDDW™ travel agent, Tourmasters Travel (a link will be provided for you to submit travel request details). Tourmasters will then look for options matching your request and will contact you to confirm your flights which will be billed to the CAG master account. As flights are lowest fare economy class, they are neither changeable nor upgradeable, thus please carefully consider your departure and arrival times before confirming to Tourmasters Travel. Any cancellations/changes thereafter (and subsequent fees) will be your responsibility.
Accommodation must be booked through the CDDW™ event planner. You will be given a link to an online form to submit your accommodation details. The CAG will cover your accommodation (base room rate + tax) for the nights of the Research Topics Program with additional nights being at your expense (unless otherwise advised). Note: accommodation will be shared for GRIT, Scholars' and Research Topics trainees. You are responsible for any and all incidental costs charged to your room.
Research Topics trainees will be responsible for paying their own ground transportation and will not subsequently be reimbursed for this expense.
Meals will be provided for the duration of the Research Topics Program. Hence, additional meals should not be required and will not be reimbursed.
The CAG will not reimburse any costs related to spouses or guests – accommodation must be arranged on your own.
Visit the CAG Tools/Templates Library to download the Expense Form Template.
Flights will be booked through the CDDW™ travel agent, Tourmasters Travel (a link will be provided for you to submit travel request details). Tourmasters will then look for options matching your request and will contact you to confirm your flights which will be billed to the CAG master account. Flights are FLEX fare and are neither changeable nor upgradeable, thus please carefully consider your departure and arrival times before confirming to Tourmasters Travel. Any cancellations/changes thereafter (and subsequent fees) will be your responsibility.
Accommodation must be booked through the CDDW™ event planner. This event company will contact you regarding your desired length of stay. The CAG will cover your accommodation (base room rate + tax) for the nights of the Research Topics Program with additional nights being at your expense. You are responsible for any and all incidental costs charged to your room.
Resaerch Topics Program faculty will be reimbursed the cost of transportation to and from the meeting venue. The CAG will not reimburse for rental cars, parking or transportation costs outside of the travel to and from the meeting/event. If you choose to rent a vehicle, reimbursement for such will not exceed the inclusive maximum of $150.00. Personal vehicle mileage incurred to and from the meeting will be reimbursed at a rate of $0.55/km.
Meals will be provided for the duration of the Research Topics Program. Hence, additional meals should not be required and will not be reimbursed. Meals may be reimbursed (up to a total of $50 per day) for the first day of the program (before the program begins) if required.
The CAG will not reimburse any costs related to spouses or guests.
Honoraria are not provided for CAG member faculty of the Research Topics Program.
We are pleased to provide you, as faculty, with complimentary registration for the main CDDW™ conference (fees for additional registrations such as for breakfasts or the purchase of Gala tickets will still apply). You will be provided with the link to the online registration as well as the code required.