Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Fellow Designation
To acknowledge continued service to the Association, as well as high standards of professionalism that it espouses, we are pleased to announce a new professional designation: the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Fellow (CAGF). This designation will be awarded to physician or PhD members who have been Regular members for 10 consecutive years and have served on a CAG committee or executive board for 5 years, which need not be consecutive. It is equally open to those in medical practice or research. Fellows will be announced in December and a Fellow reception will be held at CDDW™ the year following.
The deadline for applications is September 1 11:59 PM ET.
The Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Fellow (CAGF) distinction is an esteemed honour for CAG members who have demonstrated long-term commitment to the Association and to furthering the goals of advancing GI practice and research in Canada. This honour will thus be bestowed on a small number of CAG members each year. This award is not meant to detract from the CAG Distinguished Service Award, which is aimed at a single person, typically with national or international recognition.
The designation allows the person to use the CAGF suffix professionally. All other rights and requirements are those of a Regular member (including membership fees and CDDW™ registration).
Terms of the CAGF:
- Requires at least 10 years of continuous Regular membership in CAG, and with current membership in good standing. Membership history in other categories, such as Trainee, or Affiliate does not apply to the 10 year duration.
- Demonstration of significant contribution to CAG through committee or executive work – with at least 5 years holding CAG positions. These years need not be consecutive.
- Evidence of participation in (as participant and/or faculty) a minimum of 3 CME programs sponsored by the CAG (includes CDDW™) within the last 5 years
- If a physician, Candidate shall have a full and unrestricted license to practice medicine in his/her respective province or territory, unless retired. Proof of licensure is required.
- If not a physician, Candidate will have graduated from an accredited academic institution, and reached the rank of Associate or Full Professor or its equivalent. Proof of graduation of applicant’s highest degree, and current position, is required.
- Applications will be accepted by candidates through submission by deadline. The Admissions Committee will confirm eligibility for all applications. In case of discrepancy or disagreement, applications will be judged by an ad hoc committee that includes the Admissions Chair, the Administrative Affairs Chair, and the CAG President. Members applying for CAGF designation are not eligible to assess CAGF designations for that year.
- Candidate shall provide a current CV, a copy of current license (for physicians) or institution letter (for researchers), plus one or more letters of recommendation from CAG regular members who have been CAG members for at least 5 years. Sponsoring letters should outline the candidate's accomplishments.
- Honorees will be presented with a CAG lapel pin and a certificate at CDDW™, and will be listed on the CAGF page on the CAG website.
- For members in Quebec or who desire it, the equivalent French designation of AACG (Associé de l’Association Canadienne de Gastroentérologie) may be used.
- Designation of the CAGF is by the sole discretion of the CAG and may be withdrawn, altered, or revoked as necessary.
This honour was bestowed on the following CAG members on February 28, 2015 in Banff, Alberta:
Dr. Hugh Chaun, Vancouver, BC
Dr. Naoki Chiba, Guelph, ON
Dr. Eldon Shaffer, Calgary, AB
This honour was bestowed on the following CAG members on February 8, 2014 in Toronto:
Dr. Robert Bailey, Edmonton, AB
Dr. Stephen Collins, Hamilton, ON
Dr. Carlo Fallone, Montreal, QC
Dr. Richard Hunt, Hamilton, ON
Dr. Jan Irvine, Toronto, ON
Dr. Desmond Leddin, Halifax, NS
Dr. Gary Levy, Toronto, ON
Dr. William Paterson, Kingston, ON
Dr. Keith Sharkey, Calgary, AB
Dr. Philip Sherman, Toronto, ON
Dr. Connie Switzer, Edmonton, AB
Dr. John Wallace, Hamilton, ON