Wait Time Benchmarks for Digestive Health Care
A CAG-led consensus panel, representing national and regional gastroenterology associations, hepatology, general surgery, internal medicine and family practice, developed 24 recommendations for maximal, medically-appropriate wait times for gastroenterological consultation and procedures (Can J Gastroenterol 2006;20:411-23).
Actual Wait Times for Digestive Care in Canada
Results from the 2005 Practice Audit in Gastroenterology (PAGE) Wait Times program confirmed that wait times for gastroenterological care are excessive (Can J Gastroenterol 2008;22(2):155-60). Comparison of these wait times with the benchmarks for care described above has unfortunately shown that many of the targets are not being achieved (Can J Gastroenterol 2008;22(2):161-167).
In 2008 the Survey of Access to Gastroenterology (SAGE) again measured wait times for gastroenterological care. The survey found that waits have worsened since 2005 and continue to exceed recommendations (Can J Gastroenterol 2010;24(1):20-5). Through its latest CAG Survey of Access to GastroEnterology (SAGE) completed this April (2012), results reveal a worrisome trend of longer wait times.
The CAG continues to advocate for the opportunity to work with government in an effort to decrease wait times, achieve benchmarks, and address the looming shortage of gastroenterology specialists.
Wait Time Alliance
Since April 2007, the CAG has been a member of the Wait Time Alliance for Timely Access to Health Care. The Association is working towards the goal of timely and quality digestive health care for all Canadians.
Other Information on Wait Times:
- Wait Time Alliance Press Release - September 2014
- Wait Time Alliance Press Release - June 2014
- SAGE 2012 Wait Times Program - February 2013
- Wait Time Alliance Press Release - June 19, 2012
- Wait Time Alliance Press Release - June 21, 2011
- 2014 Wait Time Alliance Report Card
- 2011 Wait Time Alliance Report Card
- 2009 Wait Time Alliance Report Card
- 2008 Wait Time Alliance Report Card
- 2007 Wait Time Alliance Report Card
- 2006 Wait Time Alliance Report Card