Skills Enhancement for Endoscopy©
Over time, a gap in the quality of endoscopy skills, across this country and others, has been identified through varied sources and a solution deemed critical to be realized. With the CAG's increased focus on quality markers for all performed procedures, the Skills Enhancement for Endoscopy© (SEE©) Program is one initiative that will certainly help to accomplish that very goal. In September 2012, a working group met to determine the scope of the gap, the key components that the SEE© Program would house and the framework of how to develop this program nationally to ensure that standards were uniform, could be monitored and that training would be available to those in need. It was determined that the SEE© Program would encompass two (2) types of accredited programs, each to run independently. The first course offered is Train-the-Endoscopy-Trainer (TET), which will be led by SEE© Faculty members. These courses are designed to improve teaching skills and procedural conscious competence needed to teach endoscopy. In general, TET courses will run 1.5 days with two (2) faculty members teaching up to six (6) delegates. TET courses will be offered at either SEE© Certified training centres* or at a Canadian residency training program centre that have met the specified conditions to do so.
The second course offered is Colonoscopy Skills Improvement (CSI) which is designed to provide the up-skilling and improvement of colonoscopy skills of practicing endoscopists. This course consists of one (1) day live endoscopy sessions. This course will be of particular interest to the provincial colon cancer screening programs that are under development in Canada. For these courses, participants will be expected to travel to SEE© Certified training centres*.
Both courses will have standardized curriculum's that will be adhered to nationally. Train-the- Endoscopy-Trainer and Colonoscopy Skills Improvement will be the focus for the next 24 months.
The SEE© Program is offered to CAG members free of charge. For Canadian non-members of CAG, the program registration fees are $1000.00 for the Train-the-Endoscopy-Trainer course and $750.00 for the Colonoscopy Skills Improvement course or a three (3) year CAG membership which will result in the registration fees for the courses being waived. The number of course participants is small, so as to allow for individual hands - on experience, coaching, and feedback.
- Allow 4-6 weeks for review of the MOC application and the accreditation process
- SEE© Programs are accredited by CAG and will receive course funding for SEE© Faculty travel and accommodation, AV rentals and administrative support
- Two SEE© certified Faculty members must be present at each program
- Ideal number of participants for each program is 3 for CSI and 6 for TET
- Required equipment include tower, scope, imager, video feed to monitor in a separate room for observers
- Nursing staff is a requirement
- Administrative and technical support is required for program set up and course duration
- As these are accredited programs CPD Section Credits can be applied for (Group Learning, Peer Assessment or Personal Learning's – Section 1, 2 or 3)
For information on becoming a CAG-SEE© Certified Faculty and/or setting up a CAG- SEE© Certified Centre, please review the ‘Requirements for CAG-SEE© Trainer & Centre Certification’ document.
Click the locations to view confirmed and tentative schedules: